Pediatrics/10 Month Old Sleeping Problems

Question
Hi, I am having problems getting a 10 month old to sleep in his own crib for naptime/bedtime. I have previously read your answer to the question, "My 9 Month Old Fights Sleep" at http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pediatrics-1429/9-month-old-fights.htm. My problem is the same, with my 10 month old refusing to sleep in his own crib. When we rock him to sleep and try and put him in the crib he wakes immediately crying hysterically and won't stop for long periods of time. I of course have previously done everything you said not to do in the answer, as I'm a first time mom struggling to reconcile putting in place practices I've researched concerning sleeping and actually dealing with reality. I will DEFINITELY be using the information you gave in the previous answer, but my concern is the method of "cry-it-out". I've read a lot of newer research on the harmful effects of the "cry-it-out" method and I can't seem to justify letting my baby cry until his brain shuts down assuming abandonment just so I can have him sleep in his own crib. This has led to me compromising on all of the things you've said not to do; baby sleeping with parents, feedings during the night, etc. Is there anything else you could suggest differently for someone concerned with "Cry-it-out"?

Thanks

Answer
Hi, Tayler,

Certainly when you look online, there is a big controversy regarding the method of cry it out, with people claiming the excess cortisol produced by crying hurts brain development, makes babies less trustful, etc.  

I'm not sure any of that is true, but some people think this is the gospel.  I still recommend bed time rituals, comforting babies, getting them drowsy but not falling asleep in your arms, and then putting them in the crib awake.  If he is crying after 5-10 minutes, go in, sooth him with kind words, and leave.  You can keep doing this for as long as it takes.  Some babies do well with this and some don't. Certainly if you put your baby in the crib asleep and then he wakes up, Cry It Out seems to me cruel and counterproductive.  You need to disassociate the act of falling asleep with you.  The last waking memory should be of the crib, and not you.

Good luck, dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD