Pediatrics/Excessive burping

Hi sir,
 My son is 4 months old. For the past 15 days, he is burping incessantly. Sometimes he refuses to sleep in the cradle and when I pick him up he burps. Then he sleeps for sometime. He is on bottle feed twice a day. Otherwise he is ok. He is active only. I have changed the nipple to slow flow type. I've tried simethicone drops. Nothing seems to work. Kindly tell me what to do.

Dear Anoo,

You seem to be doing all the right things, and yet, as you say, his burping isn't subsiding. This might be due to him swallowing a lot of air. Is he a fretful baby, crying a lot? Does he have some respiratory infection, increasing his breathing rate? If all this is negative, I think you might want to take him to his paediatrician for a check and some testing. An ultrasound of his abdomen, for example, might show what is happening inside his belly.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.