Pediatrics/Hep B extra dose

Question

My Baby was given Pentavac in 6weeks and Quadrovax in 10 weeks. Again in 14weeks doctor had suggested Pentavac and asked to give an extra shot of Hep B in 6th month as it was missing in Quadrovax. But the nurse misunderstood and gave Pentavac and Hep B shots together in two legs of the child. Is there any issue with this double dose? Please suggest

Answer
Hi Rajeev,

Such errors happen for one simple reason: We don't want to follow standard recommendations, but keep tweaking every now and then on our whims and fancies. If every baby is vaccinated as per ONE standard immunization chart, there is hardly any chance of such error.

Ideally, Pentavac is given at 6 weeks, Quadrovax at 10 AND 14 weeks; third dose of Hep B is given separately at 6 months of age.

Anyway, since the extra dose has been given, let me tell you that there is NO HARM to the baby as such because of extra dose. So relax!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar