Pediatrics/Strawberry birthmark?

Red marks
Red marks  

Red marks
Red marks  

My 6 day old daughter was born with this red mark on her face which has not gone away. The mark feels flat. I am worried that it is a strawberry birthmark and it will affect her eye given the proximity. I appreciate that it is difficult to say from the pictures, but does it look like the beginning of a strawberry birthmark to you? If not, what else could it be?

Dear Layla,

Actually these are capillary hemangiomas (or stork bites as they are called in lay language), and they do not grow like other forms of hemangiomas. I am therefore pretty sure they won't affect her vision or eyes. However, as you have rightly surmised, it can be a little difficult to be 100% sure, so please do get her checked by a paediatrician offline to be sure.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.