Pediatrics/Trouble sleeping..Any reason in what this is

Question
I'm having trouble sleeping. It all started around 2013 or 2014 til this day. I don't remember the last time I woke up. Was yesterday since its 5am at the moment. Now I hate when my parents blame my COMPUTER to keeping me up. No just because I'm on my computer doesn't mean shit. I'm on it because I can't sleep and it annoying the fuck out of me. I'm on it when I can't sleep. I've tried all the tactics..trying to lay down.. I been laying down in that bed since 3am and I can't just sleep. Yesterday I was really tired but no matter what I can't sleep. It takes about 7 8 or 9 hours to rest my eyes. About yesterday or the day before I fell asleep around 9 pm I was shock when this happened..i thought i was going to get my sleeping pattern back..when i woke up i looked at the time..11pm..2 hours really..Next day went to bed at 11pm woke up at 2am..when i woke up first thing i did was went upstairs to go on my computer because thats all i can do at 2am in the morning and also to include when i did woke up i lay there for a few hoping i would doze back off but I didn't. Continuing on, went on my laptop then got a bit tired I told myself "fuck that you get tired and no matter how long it takes you cant shut eye til morning " I'm just so used to it that I know that my bedtime is all over the place. There's times when I have to take a benedyrl or a tyelenol to fall asleep. It would put me to sleep for the rest of the night and I woke up around 8. But I'm tired of hearing the therapist say to me , "Oh i think you should drink tea this and that make a plan this and that blah blah blah" It's like they don't understand. I try to lay down and nothing seems to work .I'm 15 years old.

Answer
Hi, Tina,

Most of us would advise that screen time before bed, any electronic device, is activating and is usually counter-productive to a good sleep.  I would suggest you discuss this with your doctor at a good physical and suggest that an evaluation by a sleep specialist might be in order. They assess what we call "sleep hygiene" the things you do that may enhance or inhibit sleep.

Good luck, Dr. Olson  

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD