My son was administered normal DTP( Not remember the name )as his first doze at 6'th week. After that he had severe allergy like fix and high fever.Then onwards ( second doze @ 10'th week, third doze @ 14'th week, first booster @ 18'th month )we give him DTaP-TRIPACEL. No probloms.But for second booster @ 5'th year DTaP vaccines like TRIPACEL, PENTAXIM are not available anywhere in kerala.We do not like to give DT. What should we do?. Now he is 6 year.

Hi Mr. Dhillan,

It is increasingly clear that DTaP is less effective than DTwP. The countries wwhich have been using DTaP for many years (Like USA, Australia, etc.) are currently facing huge epidemics of Pertussis (Whooping cough). If such a scenario occurs in India: it would be devastating because of high population, more population density, rampant undernutrition and other factors. Considering all this, and specially since DtwP is much much less costly (DTwP cots Rs. 19 as compared to Tripacel of Rs. 700), Indian Academy of Pediatrics changed guidelines in 2013. It is now recommended to use only DtwP.  The guidelines have also clarified that babies who have receieved DtaP in past should also get DtwP for remaining doses. However, there is no need to repeat the earlier doses.

DtaP is not recommended, hence not available in India now.

Please note that DtwP when given at 5-6 years of age troubles (Pain and fever) for 3-4 days. This pain and fever is nothing when you compare with its superior effect lasting for couple of years!

Plan this vaccine in upcoming winter vacations: so that there is minimal problem with school activities. And get it injected on non-dominant arm (that is on Lt arm, if he is Rt handed and vice versa). Ask your doctor about the medcine he can be given for pain.  Ice fomentation at injection site also helps.

Please don't delay this vaccine any further. He is already late.

All the Best.

Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.