Pediatrics/whole milk vs. Almond Milk

Question
My granddaughter is 1 yr. old and my daughter gives her almond milk instead of regular whole milk. Will she get same nutrients drinking almond milk?

Answer
Hi, Louann,  

This is kind of complicated for it depends on the type of almond milk.  I really find little use for almond milk, but others have different ideas.  Here is an paragraph that tries to explain things:

"Which Milk is Healthier?

Cow's milk and almond milk are both packed with essential nutrients and generally healthy for you. Both are rich in calcium, vitamin A, vitamin D, and B vitamins. Cow's milk is a good source of phosphorous, but almond milk is rich in vitamin E. Cow's milk is high in protein, which is the main advantage of cow's milk over almond milk. But almond milk is naturally lactose-free, so likely won't cause problems if you're lactose intolerant. If you're seeking a plant-based milk that's rich in high-quality protein like cow's milk, soy milk is a good option. If you enjoy cow's milk but want to steer clear from hormones and antibiotics, try organic brands of cow's milk"

Hope this helps.  I have an adult daughter who drinks almond milk and runs marathons, so who knows?

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD