Pediatrics/Labial adhesion

Good evening dr .i have 2 concerns kidely need ur opinion , please .
1st , ma 3 month old baby girl today was seen by her pediatric . He said she had labial minoar adhesion .asked me witj each diaper change try to seperate slowly  then bec her vagina is covered. To be reassed after 1 month .if not hel give  her estrogen creammy question is what should i Do . I am really concerned
2nd , she is always sucking her hand . Is this normal?
Thanks a lotttt .bye

Hi, Fatima,

I see many girls with labial agglutination.  My take on this and what I do is supported by the medical literature, is to not do anything, for this is a normal variation and will be come unstuck naturally over time.  I would more aggressively do something, like the estrogen cream, if she is having urinary tract infections. It is normal!

Sucking hands, toes, fingers and other things is normal, just like if you use a pacifier, that is normal too.  Infants have strong non-nutritive reasons to just satisfy their sucking reflexes.

Good luck, Dr. olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.