Pediatrics/Did not gain complete Head Control

Hello Doctor,

My daughter is 6.5 months old, she didn't gain the complete head control yet. She has a very good social smile and responds to us when we tell her something making eye contact. She can sit for 5 mins with the hands support. She seems to be not much active. She does not show much interest in toys. I am very much worried as all the babies of her age different , very active and has complete head control. Kindly clarify.

Was she born prematurely? Is the head unusually large? Every child is unique. Do not compare your child with others. From your description your child seems to be normal. Please get the child examined by a pediatrician.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and