Hello. My nine-year-old son vomited two nights in a row a little bit after falling asleep. No fever, no diarrhea, but he does have very little appetite.  Normal during the day, other than little appetite. This has happened a few times over the year (back in January, and two- three times last year). Is it normal to have a stomach bug without diarrhea or fever?  He doesn't have a headache, stomachache (other than nausea) or neck ache when this happens either.   I called the nurses line that suggested if it happens for a third night to bring him in. If this bout of vomiting happens again in the next few months should I consider looking into this further?  My other son never vomits, so it's just strange to me. Thank you.

Hi, Cindy,

This is one of the toughest symptoms for us to evaluate:  the healthy child who on rare occasions has vomiting and is otherwise completely well.  I usually ask parents to do a good food diary, for generally this will have something to do with a food intolerance. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it unless the symptoms are associated with pain or are more frequent.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.