Pediatrics/my baby cries all the time

Question
Dear Sir,
My daughter is 20 days old is cries a lot,i mean she cries after regular interval roughly like after every 5 min .To calm her we carry her all the time,but even thn she cries.She is also sleeping only for approx. 10 hours.Her stool is normal(yellow color) and she passes urine many times in a days,frequency of her stool is 3-4 times a day.Please help as we r worried.

Thanku in advance,

Divya

Answer
Dear Divya,

Infant colic and crying is a very common problem that affects up to 35% of all newborn children globally. First of all, don't worry too much as this problem tends to decrease as the baby crosses 3-4 months of age. A course of Simethicone oral drops given 4-5 times in the evening and night (approximately every 3 hours) will help her to cry less and sleep better. Try comforting her on your shoulder after every feed. Avoid feeding her with a bottle which allows her to swallow a lot of wind. Remember to burp her after every feed. Lay her on her tummy for a short while in your lap when she cries ... she is sure to quiet down. However, this should never be done on the cot, as sometimes, the baby may choke on the floor of the cot if her mouth and nose get blocked. Finally, reduce intake of gas-forming foods in your diet such as legumes, egg-plant, onions, garlic, cabbage, cauliflower etc.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Taher

P.S. Each dose of the simethicone drops can be up to 0.5 ml.

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala