Pediatrics/cold and cough

QUESTION: My baby is 18 months old and got cold she has congestion in her chest I m giving her lcf kid expectorant 5ml twice and relent syrup plus 3ml trice.  I am givin g her nibulization six times in 24 hrs  with levoline+ inhalex and levoline +budecort plz tell me whether I am following right treatment for cough and cold infection or not  and this will not cause any side effect on my baby.

ANSWER: Dear Vartika,

I think you are over-treating the child! If she has a simple cough and cold due to a virus, she does not need nebulised medicine at all. On the other hand, if she has a chest condition, nebulised medicine is ALL she needs. You need to take her to a good pediatrician and discuss this with them. Over-treatment can definitely be harmful to a baby of her age.

Dr. Taher

QUESTION: Yes Dr. Thx for your advice I HV followed the treatment for 5 days now her cold is fine my pediatrician suggested to take a urine test as sometimes she has got fever ( 99-100f) in the evening he has suggested zifi 50 mg 5 ml twice for six days  n asked to continue with relent 2.5ml twice for three days . SME infection is thr in the report . l also wanted to know the side effects of nibulization n antibiotics. I m little worried

Dear Vartika,

Your pediatrician is not documenting the cause of the fever, but advocating antibiotics purely on suspicion. I would worry from that, rather than the worries you have.Please check your kid's urine, but collect it from the middle of her passing into a hygienically cleaned container. If the urine shows evidence of infection, then give her Zifi by all means, but don't use it blindly.

Thank you for the follow-up.

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.