Is Unker's Salve safe for my 10 month old. I would like to use it to help with her congestion and cough.

Hi, Jacee,

This is a standard type of salve that contains eucalyptus, wintergreen, menthol crystals, pine needles Camphor and white petroleum base.  It smells good, and should be safe, unless the ingredients irritate the skin.  I see no reason it really should be used in anyone with a cold, for I can't think of a good reason it will help.  We really have no treatments for colds in kids, just stuff to make them feel better.

So..probably safe, not effective.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.