Pediatrics/infant probiotic dosage info please

My daughter is 3 months old and I had bought her Zarbees naturals baby probiotic supplement. The dosage info on the back is for a 24 month baby, as the powdered supplement is already measured out in individual packages. So I'm curious is to how much I should be giving my daughter, I started her out with 1/8 tsp. Is that too less?

Hi, Kirsten,

I am not aware of this probiotic.  Generally probiotics have a wide theraputic index, meaning the amount of this supplement could be given in a many fold dose and not cause any problems.  I would probably give a 3 month old about 1/3 to 1/2 of the recommended dose for a 24 month old, unless the company says otherwise.  These are very safe products.  Effective....who knows?

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.