Pediatrics/new born vitamins

Question
dear doctor:
my newborn was prescribed with vit d by the pediatrician once a day.
aside from this, my mother in law gives her 5drops of carmicide drops and
5drops visyneral drops and 0.25 ml of macalvit syrup everyday,twice a day.
what could be the effect of it to my 19day old baby?
thankyou

Answer
Hi, May,

Why is your mother-in-law giving your baby anything?  This is YOUR baby.  You should be deciding what to give and what not to give.  The carmicide is an herbal mix that is safe, but why give it to a healthy baby?  The Visyneral is a multivitamin and is also safe, but whether your baby really needs it is debatable, as is the need for Macalvit, a calcium supplement.  In the USA, we would give a healthy breast fed baby a vitamin D and perhaps multivitamin supplement and would give a formula fed baby nothing.  I really follow the philosophy that babies who are term and healthy really don't need much more than bre ast milk or formula.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD