I am a mother of a 2 year old boy. Mostly at nap time he has started to get his hand in a poopy diaper and throw it out of bed or paint the bed items.  How do I handle this behavior problem and help him understand it is something he should not do.

Hi, Diane,

This is a tough one.  I would be sure the diapers at nap have an extra tape, try duct tape, and be sure you keep an eye on him in the nap.  Maybe a monitor to know when he is up and doing this, to really have a quick response when he is in the act.  Doing something after the nap, after the damage is done, will  be less effective.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.