Pediatrics/Cold and cough

Question
Hello doctor,
   My baby son is one month old. He is suffering from cold and cough. He doesn't have strong nasal congestion, but he coughs very strongly and even sometimes vomit. There is a sound sometimes when he breaths which seems like chest congestion. Sometimes there seems bubble like water coming out of his mouth. We visited the doctor. He recommended to give him saline nasal spray 4times a day with 2drops, maxtra drops 3 times a day with 5 drops and althrocin drops for 5 days, 8 drops 3 times a day which I am already giving . He is already having zincovit drops, calshine p , reca. And lanol drops when there is a fever. Please suggest if we are going in correct direction or if there are natural remedies or Ayurvedic.

Answer
Hi, Greeshma,

In the USA, we would never put a child with a cold on an antibiotic and a decongestant and an antihistamine.  These are viral illnesses and unless there is a bacterial infection, the antibiotics won't work.  I find in other countries a lot of care like this is given, that is ineffective and potentially dangerous.  Just my USA based opinion, but this is not the way we treat the many kids we see with colds.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD