Pediatrics/My two month old daughter

My two month old daughter was having trouble breathing!!  She has both nasal and chest congestion.  We took her to the local E.R., which I have little faith in, and she was x-rayed.  They noted that she had mildly increased perihilar markings.  What should we do? They offered no solution or advice!!

Hi, Joseph,

I suspect she has a viral respiratory illness, like bronchiolitis.  This is not specifically treatable.  Antibiotics won't help.  The chest xray is none specific and would be very consistent with bronchiolitis or another such viral illness.

I would suggest you call her doctor Monday and see if they want to see her.  Otherwise, lots of fluids, keeping the nose clear and tylenol to help with fever or discomfort may be all you can do.  These illnesses generally stay for a week or so and get better.  Those getting worse, with more trouble breathing, need to be rechecked and this is best done in your doctors office.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.