Pediatrics/Raisins

Question
Are there common raisin allergies or digestive issues? I know you handle pediatric issues but I am 35 and feel sharp pain in the middle of my chest for a couple hours after eating a box of raisins but nothing else.

Answer
Hi, James,

Raisins are usually pretty benign, but if you were a kid and described these symptoms, I would simply tell you to avoid raisins.  It would be interesting to know if you have this same response to grapes, for I'm sure most raisins have some chemicals/preservatives.  I might be wrong on this.  Just don't eat them and you should be fine.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD