Pediatrics/positive reducing substances test in stool and ph factor 6

Question
My 5 months old son having watery stool since 10 days. today we had his stool examination, pH and reducing substances test. result came up with positive reducing substances and pH 6.0. My son is suffering fron atopic dermatitis since when he is 1 month old. And paed advised me to stop taking cow milk one month back and I followed his instruction(I take curd and buttermilk). Now his stool test result is showing lactose intolerance what does it mean. pls help.

Answer
Hi, Yasmin,

Lactose intolerance is an inability to process large amounts of lactose, a double sugar in milk.  This inability is due to a relative lack of an intestinal enzyme call lactase.  Avoiding cows milk should solve this, if this really a lactose intolerance.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD