Pediatrics/Stool Test Report

Question
Dear Sir,
My baby is 30 days old. Since birth her stool contains higher amount of water and colour of stool is light green. Doctor has advised for Stool test and major finding of the report is as follows:
-Reducing Sugar: Present (3+)
-Bacteria: Present (3+ Motile Bacilli)/HPF

Subsequent to report, the doctor has advised to stop breast milk  for 15 days (presently the baby is taking breast milk only) and given following medicines:
-Taxim syrup (cefexim)
-Enterogermina (bacillus clausil spores suspension)

Sir, I just want to know whether the finding & advise of the doctor is appropriate or not? As stopping breast milk completely for 15 days may cause problem to baby as well as mother, we are reluctant to stop breast milk.

Can you please guide me on presence of Bacteria and reducing sugar in stool test. Also, please guide whether the level of bacteria & reducing sugar, shown in stool report, is high & what is the normal range of the same.

Regards

Answer
Presence of watery stools in an infant of this age can even be a normal thing; even bacteria in the stool is normal; however, the presence of reducing substances can be a sign of lactose indigestion. Such indigestion can occur temporarily during any episode of infective diarrhoea. In such an event, we usually stop top milk, but rarely do we ask parents to stop breastfeeding. Which is why I agree with you. You should continue breastfeeding him and allow the other medicines to work. If you find that after 2-3 days of Cefixime treatment, there is no relief, please go for what is known as stool culture and ask for stool pH and stool osazone test to detect which sugar is passing out undigested in the stool. An acidic ph of below 5.5 and a positive osazone test for lactose will confirm lactose indigestion. In such cases, some duration of stopping breast milk may be rational to do.

Kindly note that both the exact stool pH test and the osazone test are usually not available in routine laboratories. Depending on your location, you could try with one of the bigger private hospitals in your city. Do, however, speak to your pediatrician as he/she may know where these tests can be carried out.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala