Pediatrics/is 7.5kg Weight ok for nine month old boy or is he underweight

Question
Hello doctor, my nine month old son weighs 7.5kg and his length is 70cms and his HC is 46cms.  His birth weight was 2.7kgs. He climbed the weight percentile between 4 to 6month of his life. He was on 12percentile. On 4month he was 6.2kg, on 6th month he was 6.9kg (9percentile) and now at 9month he has just gained 600gms and lands himself on 6percentile. He maintains himself good on height and HC percentiles. Should I be worried? I read that below 5percentile is failure to thrive. He is a happy baby, army crawls, rolls, sits, now trying to pull to stand. He drinks formula and gets three meals of purée food consisting of cereal, fruits, veggies, lentils, chicken eggs etc. what is ideal weight for this age group of Indian baby boy (if ethnicity plays a role in growth of babies of different origin).Thank you for any input.  Warm regards, Manisha"

Answer
Brief answer: Your son's weight is just fine.

Long answer: Babies gain about three times their birth weight by the age of one year. As your son was born 2.7 kg, he is expected to reach an average weight of 8.1 kg by 12 months of age. As he is 7.5 kg already, I guess he is doing just fine. The rate of growth keeps decreasing throughout infancy. At birth and for the first few months, the weight gain is about 1 kg/month. At 6-9 month, the gain drops to about 0.5 kg/month, and from 9-12 months, and during most of the second year of life, the rate of increase will be just 0.25 kg/month.

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala