Pediatrics/9month old came down on weight percentile

Hello doctor, my nine month old son weighs 7.5kg and his length is 70cms and his HC is 46cms.  His birth weight was 2.7kgs. He climbed the weight percentile between 4 to 6month of his life. He was on 12percentile. On 4month he was 6.2kg, on 6th month he was 6.9kg (9percentile) and now at 9month he has just gained 600gms and lands himself on 6percentile. He maintains himself good on height and HC percentiles. Should I be worried? I read that below 5percentile is failure to thrive. He is a happy baby, army crawls, rolls, sits, now trying to pull to stand. He drinks formula and gets three meals of purée food consisting of cereal, fruits, veggies, lentils, chicken eggs etc. what is ideal weight for this age group of Indian baby boy. Thank you for any input.  Warm regards, Manisha

Human being is  the most complicated machine in the world. We still do not know many things about it. The percentile charts are based on group data and may not always hold good for an individual. some children remain near the lower range without any problem. If the child is active and development is normal there is no need to worry. Just keep a watch on his growth and development If he appears sick then it may be necessary to investigate.

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and