Pediatrics/Child inhaled food

Question
Hi Dr. Olson,

My son is 32 months old. Today when he was eating lunch, he was talking and laughing and the food was caught up in his mouth/throat and he began choking and coughing badly. We patted on his back and the choking and coughing went away after a short while. Nine hours have passed and he looks fine and does not have any other symptoms so far.

Should we still take him to doctor to check up even thought there are no symptoms? Is it possible that small pieces of food got into his lungs without showing symptoms?

Thank you so much for looking at our question. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Michelle

Answer
Hi, Michelle,

If there are no symptoms at this time, probably all is well.  If he would, over the next few days, have increasing coughing, especially without cold symptoms, then if would be reasonable to see your doctor. Most kids choke and cough and do a good job keeping stuff out of their lungs, and small amounts of stuff can be taken care of by the body without problems.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD