Pediatrics/Cold, Cough and fever to my child

Dear DR, my one year two month baby suddenly got cough, cold from yesterday and now fever is also started. I am having the P125 drops but i dont know the dosage. can you please suggest me a medicine?

Dear Stalin,

Infants get attacks of cough and cold with fever almost 6-8 times a year, and usually do not need any other medicine ... except saline nose drops to open up the nose, and paracetamol for fever (if present, and if more than 37.8 degree C).

The dose of paracetamol syrup would be about 5 ml of a product having 120-125 mg/5 ml; the drops contain 125 mg/1ml, so 1 ml would be enough ... and you may use them up to 3 times in 24 hours (day + night).

Hope this answers your query.

Please do not use antibiotics or cough syrups without consulting a physician in person with the child.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.