Pediatrics/Stomach bug?

Question
My two year old seems to have some sort of stomach bug. It started around noon yesterday. She acts normal for the most part, but she can't keep any food down. I've tried everything (bread, saltines, pretzels, oatmeal). I figured it would pass after yesterday. She's been drinking plenty of water, she can keep that down just fine. And she's resting a lot too. A friend suggested I give her a tiny little piece of a Tums to help her sleep, so I did and that seemed to help some. But this morning she puked up her breakfast. I just don't know what it could be or what I should do. Please help?

Answer
Hi, Cadence,

Viral stomach flu is common and should be a self limited illness.  I stress that for the first 12 hours, liquids alone should suffice and after that we usually recommend back to a regular diet. It is possible with a regular diet to have a bit of vomiting.  This is OK as long as she is getting good water or other liquids in.

Most a better in a day or so.  If not, see your doctor for a good look.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD