Pediatrics/Stool test

Question
Hello Dr,
      My son is 36 days old, he is passing motion(loose) many(10 to 15) times a day but not so heavy it light light, while passing urine or motion he is tightening his body and when he passes he feels free, doctor suggested for stool reducing substance test, test result is positive(1%).
So, doctor suggested me to stop milk or else continue if it seems no problem.Please suggest me is it really a big problem with mothers milk, is the positive % high or low, am bit nervous please suggest me Sir.

Answer
Dear Sravanthi,

The doctor who recommended stopping mother's milk is clearly misguided. A normal baby of a month's age or thereabouts may NORMALLY pass 10-15 stools daily; it is not significant if the child is gaining weight, is playful, alert, and feeds normally and urinates about 5-6 times a day. Continue feeding the baby with your milk. Ignore the report.

Dr. Taher

P.S. My book on Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen is on sale on www.pothi.com. Take a look. It will answer many of your normal questions, and you can say good-bye to repeated visits to your doctor. Here is the link: http://pothi.com/pothi/book/ebook-dr-taher-y-kagalwala-child-care-birth-eighteen

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala