Pediatrics/Vaccination price

Hi Doctor,

I have recently took my 10 weeks old kid to vaccination where he was provided with Quadrovax, IPV and Rota. He charged us 3900 rs for the same.

I am not quite comfortable with the explanation provided by doctor for certain points. I dont have the vaccination stickers or the boxes to provide more details. Can you please help me with the below questions

1) Quadrovax is painful medicine ?
2) These 3 medicines would it charge 3900 rs ?
3) For any reason, can i change from Painful to Painless medicine in the 2nd dosage ?

Dear Bhuvanesh,

It would be unethical for me to comment on pricing of vaccines by a doctor. You are free to check with other doctors before giving the vaccines to your child. Quadrovax can be painful, but the pain can be minimised by an expert doctor if they give attention to the details of how to vaccinate. Paracetamol can also be given to the baby to reduce pain. And yes, you can change to the painless vaccine, which is actually not entirely painless; not just that, the painless vaccine has less protective power, and you should be aware of that. This is the reason why the apex body of Paediatricians in India now recommends giving the "painful" vaccine routinely.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Taher

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

I come from India, and have been practising since 29 years. I am specially interested in infections, asthma, newborn care and parenting. I have authored a book on Parenting.It is called "Child Care: From Birth to Eighteen". The e-book is now available on
and on and all local versions, including I have my professional site at Blogger. Here, you can read good advice and also seek a professional online consultation for a small fee. Do check out

Qualified Pediatrician practising since 29 years.
Currently working in the United Kingdom. You may reach me on my cell number +447440622670 or email me on only if I have not responded to your query here in a reasonable time. If you directly call me or email me, I might not be able to respond. Thank you for understanding. Please do not Whatsapp me.

Indian Academy of Pediatrics, life member. Mumbai Branch of the I.A.P., life member. Genetics Chapter of the I.A.P.

Indian Pediatrics, Indian Journal of Pediatrics, Toxicology Abstracts.

M.D., M.R.C.P.C.H. (U.K.), Ph. D. (U.S.A.) D.C.H.

Gold Medallist in D.C.H., April, 1985
Highest aggregate marks in University of Mumbai, for M.D. ( Pediatrics ), October 1986.
Passed out with distinction from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, U.K. in 2015.

1. Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (K.E.M. Hospital) 2. Private consulting practice. Worked as the Asst. Paediatrician and DNB Teacher at Masina Hospital. Also visiting Saifee Hospital, Mumbai. 3. Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia as a Specialist Paediatrician. 4. Now with the NHS, UK as a Specialist Paediatric Registrar at Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.