Pediatrics/2 year old blocking everyone out

Question
I was a pre-school teacher for over ten years, in all my years working and raising my own children, I've never encountered what we saw last night with one of my granddaughters.  My 2 year old granddaughter was coloring and then threw her color at me. We started to correct her  she just went into total blocking us out.
She just looked straight down and kept coloring without looking up, smiling giggleing nothing.  Even my 5 year old granddaughter was laughing hysterically and that didn't make her even look up.  does this mean something?  I've never seen a a child tune out everything in her surroundings. I know she thought she was in trouble but only to be told not to throw things.

Answer
Hi, alysia,

If she was able to color and was conscious as she was blocking things out, then this is probably just willful intentional behavior.  Kids can be very sneaky and smart in these situations.  I would ignore this next time and it will stop quicker.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD