Pediatrics/Genital rash

My daughter has a 2 yr old girl, 4 yr old girl, and 5 yr old boy. The 4 & 5 yr old both have a mild rash with a lot of itching in the general genital region. What are some common causes? I know last week they spent about 8-9 hrs in the family pool, but it wasn't chlorinated, so I don't think that's the source. I'm concerned that maybe the kids don't shower or bathe often enough, but I don't really want to confront my daughter unless I have a little more info to work with. Thank you for your time.

Hi, Ed,

Swimming a lot, in even clean water, and hanging out in a wet bathing suit, can cause the type of rash you are describing.  I would really tread carefully even in suggesting she is not bathing her kids enough.  Your daughter is an adult, and unless she is cognitively impaired, let her bath her kids as she sees fit.  This is nothing a grandfather should be chiming in on. I'm a grandfather times three and I leave bathing decisions up to my daughters discretion.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.