Pediatrics/Vaccine DPat and DPwT

Question
QUESTION: My son was born at 28 weeks (on March 25,2015) and stayed in NICU for 2 months. He was given all his vaccines a day before the date of discharge (May 25, 2015). The vaccines DTaP IPV Hib were given as Pentaxim. His second dose is due tomorrow. But they have a shortage of Pentaxim in India and currently unavailable at all the hospitals and clinics. DPwT is available. Are these two interchangeable?

ANSWER: Hi, ankita,

I am unfamiliar with the vaccines used in India.  In the USA, various brands are interchangeable, but I am unsure re what Pentaxim really is.  I suspect it is like the Pentacel we use in the USA.  I would suggest just asking your doctor.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

QUESTION: DPaT and DPwT are interchangeable?

Answer
Hi, ankita,

Like I said in the previous answer, I am unfamiliar with the type of vaccines used in your country.  The names are different and I'm not sure that the ingrediants are the same.  Your doctor should be able to answer this question.  Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD