Pediatrics/Immunisation

Question
My son is now 2 1/2 month old. At 6 th week he should be given ( DTaP+IPV+HIB)pentaxim. Now in India where I live pentaxim very hard to get. Now my doctor told me use Shanvac 5. Is this alternative for pentaxim is that ok. Please give me advise.

Answer
Hi, Alagar,

I get a lot of questions like this.  These are products that are unfamiliar to me as a USA pediatrician.  Generally it is safe and effective to substitute similar vaccinations, but I would defer to the advise of your doctor, who must  be more knowledgeable of this.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD