Pediatrics/plz help

Question
"my three year old boy's cold always turns into a lower tract bacterial infection which is become quite often, just a week back he was on antibiotic to cure his chest infection again now he has started with sneezing and runny nose and the worse is that he stops eating completely when he is ill which is most of the times becoz of which he is under weight he is just 11.6 kgs i really panic plz suggest if i should change his present doctor

just a week back his cold lasted atleast 45 day after which he coughs sumtimes"

Answer
Hi, jason,

Most of the kids like your son actually have asthma.  The chest congestion and problems with a cold can often go away with asthma meds.  If asthma runs in the family, this is even a better possibility.  Recurrent actual pneumonias can happen in kids, and most of us as pediatricians would do an immune workup, if chest xrays were done, do a follow up film to assure clearance, and look at the remote possibility of cystic fibrosis, especially in a child who isn't growing well.  Keep me posted.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD