Pediatrics/Alternative to pentaxim

Dear sir--
My son scheduled to take PENTAXIM vaccine under 15-18 months as per injection chart. Now Please confirm

1. Why this injection is not available in India at present?
2. What is the exact replacement of this Pentaxim?
3. Even if combination of onjections are to be given.. Please inform the names .. Can it be given in same day or One week gap is OK?
4. Nowhere in India Pentaxim is not available..Why this sudden ban by govt.. without informing/spreading the message much.. Please give the clarity...

We await your satisfactory reply

Hi Mr. Prathap,

Here are the answers:

1. It has been found that PENTAXIM and other vaccines that contain DTaP (so called "painless" DTP) are much less effective than brands with DTwP ("normal" DTP). Hence, IAP revised its guidelines in October 2013 that it should not be used. Hence, we pediatricians are not using it since then.

2. PENTAXIM is a brand with DTaP, Hib and IPV. There is no "exact replacement" of this with DTwP (i.e., DTwP with Hib and IPV) anywhere in the world. There are number of brands with DTwP and Hib. Your pediatrician will tell you about the brand (s) that is available in your area.  IPV needs to be given separately. Many brands of IPV are also licensed; However, IPV is in shortage in market currently as Govt of India has procured huge no. of doses. As per manufacturers, regular supply of IPV will take at least 15- 20 days to resume. Remain in touch with YOUR pediatrician regarding the same. You can get DTwP/HIb vaccine now and IPV as soon as it is available (Had it been available, both could have been taken on the same day).

3. PENTAXIM is not banned. But since it is less effective, so is strongly not recommended. Since it is not recommended, it is not profitable for manufacturers to market it...

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.