Pediatrics/Autism sexual behavior

Question
Hi, I know a child who is 15 years old and has been abusing the family dog sexually. It's been reported to his therapists who say it's just puberty. I'm worried that the vets and or someone else can file against the parents for animal abuse and take away the family's animals. Any advice

Answer
Hi, Emily,

No, it's not just puberty.  Just because one has autism doesn't give you a license to abuse animals, sexually or any other way. Animals have rights to be cared for in a kind humane way.  My advice would be to discuss this with his parents and make sure they appreciate the significance of this.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD