Pediatrics/Falling asleep while Breastfeeding

I am the mother to a 6 week old baby girl and have been breastfeeding her since birth.. She has an inverted sleep so she sleeps all day and is very fussy at nights. With that being said.. I do not fall asleep until she does at night making me exhausted. I feel when I fall asleep I knock out. I'm aware of the dangers of "bed sharing/ cosleeping" and I put her in her bassinet after every feeding but last night I fell asleep with her on my breast. Our bed is very soft and not conducive to having her sleep there. I woke up to the sight of my precious girl practically face down on/under my breast. I don't know how long she was like that. I almost had a heart attack. After placing her on her back and checking her breathing I started to wonder if it is at all possible that she was deprived of oxygen while in that position? Can there be nuerological damage? Or is the outcome of suffocation always death? I feel terrible and will never let this happen again I just need to know if she's okay? If there are any warning signs I should be watching for now.

Hi Alice,

I am sorry for replying late, as I was busy elsewhere.

If the baby is otherwise active, feeding well: there is nothing to worry.

Just two small tips to manage reverse sleep-awake cycle:

1. The room should be well lighted during day time (even if the baby is asleep), and only dim light/ bed lamp should be used at night (so that baby is visible to you, but is dark for the baby), even though baby may be awake at night. That way, baby would transition to usual day-awake cycle faster.

2. You need to feed on demand: Hence, if the baby sleeps even for 5-6 hours a a stretch (that often happens during daytime after bath/ sponging the baby): You need not wake up the baby to feed. Let her sleep and you need to get in the habit of taking rest at that that you are not as exhausted at night.

Sorry again for being late in replying.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647  

Dr. Puneet Kumar

I would be happy to answer general queries on prevention and treatment of ailments in newborn, infant, toddler, child or an adolescent. Needless to say, it will not be possible to answer any query requiring specific diagnosis of a particular subject.

I have worked in various capacities (medical officer, resident, senior resident, consultant) in public as well as private sector in Pediatrics and Neonatology. Today, I have over 15 years of experience in the field.

Currently, I am running my own clinic (Kumar Child Clinic) in Dwarka, New Delhi and am attached to Lifeline Hospital, Dwarka as consultant pediatrics and neonatology. I am also developing my clinic website into a comprehensive child health/ parenting website (

(a) Chapter "National Immunization Schedule" in Frontiers of Social Pediatrics, Jaypee Publishers: 2nd edition, 2016. (b) Article, "All about Pertussis vaccines" in special issue of Indian Journal of Practical Pediatrics, October 2015 (c) Three chapters (DTP vaccines, Pneumococcal vaccines and Poliovirus vaccines) in "Textbook of Pediatrics for Post-graduates" First edition: 2015. (c) Chapter: "Alternative delivery methods of vaccines" in IAP textbook of Vaccines, First edition, 2014 (published by IAP/ Jaypee Brothers) (d) Special Article: "50 years of Immunization in India: Progress and Future" in January 2013 issue of Indian Pediatrics (e) Four chapters in "FAQ: Book on Vaccines and Immunization Practices" First edition, 2011 AND 2nd edition, 2015 published by Jaypee Brothers. (f) Three articles in special issue of Journal of Pediatric Sciences on “Controversies and Challenges in Pediatric Vaccination Today" in Sept, 2010. Co-edited the series also. (f) Regular column, “How do I treat” in Pediascene ( (g) Review article, “Role of Anti-Poliovirus Agents in Polio eradication and beyond” in Polio Pulse, April, 2008. (h) Chapter on “Acute Infectious Diarrhea” in Textbook of Infectious Diseases in Children. (An IAP Publication), 2007. 2nd edition in 2011. (i) Book-Review (IAP Pediatric Drug Formulary, 2004) in Pediascene, March 2005 ( ) (j) Case-report on Osteopetrosis. Jharkhand Journal of Pediatrics, Dec-2002.

After MBBS, I have done DNB residency in Pediatrics.

Winner of IAP practising pediatrician's quiz in 2001.