Pediatrics/PANDAS

Question
Can a child have strep throat once or twice before developing PANDAS and also, if the child has strep throat, will the ESR and CRP be elevated?  Or is there a circumstance in which they would not be elevated with a strep throat?

Thank you,
Nancy

Answer
Hi, Nancy,

The CRP and the ESR are non-specific markers of inflammation and can be elevated briefly with a lot of illnesses, including routine strep. We generally don't check these tests in routine strep, for they are of little value.   Generally the thought is you have to have strep once and maybe twice to get the antibody response directed at parts of the brain, although this is still somewhat mysterious.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD