Pediatrics/low sugar?

QUESTION: Hello, I have a question about my 8 yr old daughter. She's over all pretty healthy 54" 75lbs. Within the past couple of months she has been getting feeling shaky throughout the day. It comes and goes. I took her to the doctors and they ran blood work. They said everything came back normal. I've seen the report and her sugar was flagged low. It was a 68. When she feels shaky I get her to eat and she feels better. Her doctor don't feel theres anything to worry about. Today she got up, we went to eat breakfast. We got done eating by 10 and she started feeling shaky around 12:45. I took her sugar, it was 62. Is that normal? Her gram has type 2 diabetes. Also can you explain some other blood work for me too?    Alkaline Phosphatase was 281, flagged high.  Creatinine was 0.56, was flagged low. RBC was 4.74, flagged high. Eosinophils was 7.5, flagged high. That's it. Thank you for any help.    Rachael

ANSWER: Hi, Rachael,

Blood sugar measurements are valuable when the symptoms are occurring and a lot less so when she is fine.  The 68 is low/normal, and she shouldn't really have symptoms with a blood sugar at this level.  It may mean that with symptoms, it is lower.  

Low sugar has nothing to do with diabetes.  High sugars do.  The alk phos is normal for age, the creatinine is normal for age, and the eos are higher, seen in allergic kids and possible parasite infections, although if she is having no symptoms such as diarrhea, parasites are unlikely.  

What does one do about low blood sugar?  Good regular meals that contain lots of protein and complex carbs and little sugar.  Snacks consistently that are protein and complex carbs will also tend to level out blood sugars.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

QUESTION: Thank you for the info. I have one more question. She has a healthy diet. She barely eats sugary foods. She mostly eats meats, veggies and breads. Could anything cause blood sugar to go low? Or is it a natural body chemistry?

Hi, Rachael,

I thought I answered this, but apparently didn't go through.  Yes, other rare things can cause low blood sugar, like tumors that secrete insulin and other hormones, but these are rare and usually cause extremely low sugars. It probably is just the way her natural body chemistry and hormonal balance works.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.