Pediatrics/Testicle exams

Question
Does the pediatrician need to check the testicles at every visit? My 4 year old son was upset when the doctor checked then last visit. What are they checking for?

Answer
Hi, Jake,

If a pediatrician is not examining the testicles at every schedules physical exam, then you should see someone else.  The testicles are sites of cancer in young men, they can have infections, they can be undescended and a host of other issues.  It is negligence not to do this on every physical.  If someone is doing this when your kid comes in for a cold, this is inappropriate.  I tell all kids who can understand, that the underwear area is private, that no one should look or touch this area unless they are a parent and that I am a doctor, with their parent, so it is OK.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

Pediatrics

David Olson, MD