Pediatrics/excessive blood

Question
DR. Kumar,

Thank you very much for your time.  A student in my class cut her finger (pinkie finger) on a pencil sharpener today.  We applied a band aid and didn't think much about it until she took off the band-aid about an hour and a half later.  It was bleeding so we took her to the school nurse.  The nurse cleaned it and applied a new band-aid.  About another hour and a half later she took off her band-aid before leaving on the bus and her finger was bleeding enough that it got all over various tables and objects in the room before we noticed it. She is a special needs child and is very active. The cut on her finger did not look deep or serious but bled for about 3 hours.  Since she left for the day, we are not sure how long it bled.  Her mother was contacted and told us that she bleeds a lot when hurt.  This is very worrisome to me.  Are there any disorders that would cause this?  Thank you again!

Answer
Hi Tanya,

Yes, she MUST be investigated for coagulation disorders. The problem may be congenital (by birth) deficiency of one of the many factors that are needed for the blood to clot. The most common of these is hemophilia: however, it rarely causes problem in girls.

Another class of disorders is deficiency or defective function of platelets in body..as platelets are also essential for initial building up of blood clot.

Sometimes, the defect is secondary to some other problem, like liver disorders (since all the coagulation factors are normally synthesized by liver).

So there is a number of disorders that can cause it: she MUST be worked up for them.

It would be great to hear back from you as and when her diagnosis is confirmed...

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar