Pediatrics/Measles OR MMR vaccination at 9 month

Question
Dear Respected Sir,
Kindly guide regarding WHICH VACCINE TO GIVE AT 9 MONTHS OLD BABY.

Old recommendation is 9 month = only plain MEASLES
New Recommendation IAP Oct 2014 is 9 month = MMR-1 (NOT Plain Measles) and
15 month = MMR-2

NOW...U please Suggest and Guide Sir at 9 month???

ALSO

2) DO WE NEED/NECESSARY/RECOMMENDED TO GIVE VITAMIN A DROPS AT 9 MONTH??

3)For Breastfed + Weaning Infant,
is there a NEED/NECESSARY/RECOMMENDED for

CALCIUM  + VITAMIN D......
IRON Supplement.....
Vitamin Supplement??

KINDLY GUIDE SIR...
THANKING YOU IN ANTICIPATION.
----Dr. Manish.

Answer
Hi Dr. Manish,

Here are the answers:

1. I follow latest IAP recommendations for immunization: Hence, MMR-1 is recommended at 9 months and MMR-2 at 15 months (Plain measles vaccine not required at any age; No need of MMR at 4-6 years of age)

I would also like to inform you that very soon, even in National Schedule (UIP), MR (Measles-Rubella) vaccine would be initiated at 9 months of age. After that plain measles would not be available in the country.

2. Vitamin A is there in UIP: It is a national program: hence, theoretically, every baby should be getting it. However, in personal practice, I do not recommend it at least in babies from urban settings as such mega-doses of Vitamin A might be harmful in a child who is not deficient in Vitamin A (since as you know, Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin and any excess Vit A would be deposited in body and would have adverse effect)

3. Iron requirement in 6-12 months of age is highest in whole life: and is unlikely to be met by ususal diet. Hence, every baby in this age group needs iron supplement, IN ADDITION to iron-rich diet. Some authorities recommend Iron supplement even till 18 months of age.

Babies do not usually require calcium supplement. However, MOTHERS should continue calcium supplement in addition to calcium rich diet (milk and milk products) till they breastfeed: That way, babies would get adequate supplement.

Every baby needs Vitamin D supplement, since the amount of Vitamin D in breastmilk and usual diet is negligible and the biggest source of Vitamin D (sunlight) is hardly available to babies these days.

Many authorities recommend multi-vitamin supplement in babies routinely.

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar