Pediatrics/Severe coughing in child

Hello sir/madam

My daughter is 4 years old. 1 year back she developed severe cough which used ro start after sleep. Doctor prescribed asthalin MDI and budecort. She was fine for 3 months. Now she develops same problem every now and then even when taking FORACORT MDI regularly for past 4 months. She has been advised duolin respule nebuliser. I am doing that for past 2 days but severe and continuous cough is present. Nebulising with duolin plus 5ml saline 4 times a day. Please suggest something. She doesn't have breathlessness or wheezing etc. Just continuous and relentless coughing. Doctor said chest is clear. Please reply.

Thanks in advance

Perhaps she needs some tests to find out the cause of cough (like routine blood examination and eosinophil  count). If she has nasal block it is better to  consult an ENT surgeon. Sometimes X ray may be required but it is difficult to decide without clinical  examination.  

Dr. Arun Kumar Suri

I can answer questions in the field of general pediatrics-questions regarding the development of children, immunization, feeding, weaning and common childhood problems like fever, cough and recurrent illness. Many of these topics are dealt with on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. Often a mother imagines that her child is sick when in fact there is no problem. Such a mother needs explanation and reassurance. I will not be able to answer specific questions regarding diagnosis.

I have more than 20 years of experience as a Pediatrician. I have been involved in the care of premature babies and also many critically ill children.

I am attached to a Mission hospital in a small town in the Kannur dist. of Kerala in India. I also have my private clinic in a nearby place.

Most of my articles are on my website Healthy Family Happy Family. I have also contributed articles to Ezine Articles and Article City. I believe that Pediatrics is more than treating diseases in children. I advocate holistic approach to child health and problems of children giving equal importance to physical, psychological and spiritual health of children.

M.B.B.S. D.C.H. I have completed a distant course in adolescent health conducted by IMA AKN SINHA INSTITUTE. I have also completed an online course on Ayurvedic care of children conducted by Jiva Institute.

My website has been recognized by HONcode for trustworthy information on health. It has also been listed by, and