Pediatrics/can i give rotatrix second dose two week later of first dose

Question
QUESTION: hi sir

i have 3 month old baby. i live in netherlands. here dr. do not give rotavirus vaccine so i had to go belgium so that my baby get protected from rotvirus. baby got rotatrix at 13.5 weeks and he is due for next does as we are cooming india in next few weeks so dr. said you can give second booster after two weeks. i am not sure about this.is it safe to give rotatrix after two weeks?

ANSWER: Dear Neha,

No. You cannot give rotavirus or any vaccine within a gap of fewer than 4 weeks.This has to do with the development of immunity. Also, I would like to know why you wish to give a vaccine that is not on the programme of the country your baby is living in. In my opinion, it is not worth it, unless your baby's geographical stay is going to alter substantially in the next few months and he will be staying in India or a similar developing nation.

Taher

QUESTION: Hi sir I m going to shift India permanently m next month so I thought its important for baby to have this vaccine because he is in Netherlands only till his 3.5 month.
What if I give next booster in India ?
Ideally he is due for next booster on 13 may.
I will be in India on 1 may.

Answer
Dear Neha,

Thank you for reverting and clarifying the situation. In the circumstances, you should definitely complete the course of the rotavirus vaccine. A complete course consists of two oral doses or three, depending on the brand being used. In either case, these are parts of the primary course and not to be called boosters. Secondly, no boosters are recommended for rotavirus vaccine. Once the primary course has been completed, that is the end of the story.

As I said before, allow at least 4 weeks (28+ days) between the previous and the subsequent doses of the rotavirus vaccine. If you have waited for 28 days, then it can be given any time up to 60 days after the previous dose. Stick to that rule and you won't go wrong.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala