Pediatrics/IPV vaccine

Question
My baby(3.5 months) had received 2 doses of IPV( at 6 and 10 week respectively) as part of his regular immunization schedule. For 3rd dose( at 14th week) he was given OPV instead of IPV.
Should i concern about this? Can i give an IPV too? Will this over dose him?

Answer
Dear Janeesh,

There are several recent changes made to the immunisation schedule by the Indian Academy of Pediatrics and the way your baby received the polio injections twice followed by an oral dose may be because of this . You can certainly give a third IPV dose to your daughter at 14 weeks, and follow this up with a booster at 18 months. There is no risk of overdose since both the vaccines act in different ways.

Taher  

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala