Pediatrics/Milk in babys breast

Question
I was totally unaware that a baby's breasts has milk until an acquaintance told me about the custom of squeezing milk from newborn baby's breasts to ensure proper size and shape of breasts when she grows up. On enquiring , my mother also told me that on my grand ma's advice she had done it for my elder sister but not for me as she was not very sure and also scared. Though I initially thought it was totally absurd, later on I was thinking that my elder sister and my mother both have "normal" size breasts while I  am on the heavier side. Is it because as a newborn my breasts were not squeezed?? Is there any science behind this custom? Can there be any side effect of doing this?

Answer
Dear Manisha,

Absolutely not. This is the answer to the question on science behind squeezing. Babies' breasts have milk in them as they contain maternal hormones in their blood-stream for about a fortnight after they are born. These hormones cause the breasts to enlarge and secrete a milky fluid. Some babies also bleed and have a whitish discharge from their vagina because of this.

Nothing should be done for this. Absolutely do NOT squeeze the baby's breasts.

I hope this is clear enough for you.

As to the reply to whether your breasts are large because no one squeezed them at birth ... that is without any scientific reasoning.

Are there side-effects of squeezing? Yes. It can promote bleeding or infection. Hence, please don't do it.

Dr. Taher

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala