So I've had warts on my knee since I was very young. I'd got them treated and they came back years later. I'm 16 now. They are not dark warts or big warts. They are very small skin colored and I have few. My question is this. I know warts are a type of HPV and I know some types of HPV are cancerous. Are the simple warts many people have (non std) possible carcinogens? Or simply harmless skin blemishes. Thank you

Hi, Michael,

Common warts are not due to the HPV viruses that predispose one to other issues.  They are benign, a nuisance, and generally will go away with time as your immune system eventually detects this foreign virus and eliminates it.

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.