Pediatrics/Reducing substance +ve in 5 month old baby

Question
Dear Dr. Puneet,

My 5 month old baby has been tested positive for mucus, acidic reaction and reducing substance. Everything else came back negative. This test was instigated because we have been green stool for about a week. It was mucusy and pasty.

I dont know what this report indicates. I had the report checked by one of the local doctors and told me that he is not being able to break the suger in the breast milk. I wasnt very satisfied with the answer.

Anyway, please kindly help me in understanding what the report result means and whether a baby can be lactose intolerant. Also I would really appreciate if you could tell me if this is a temporary issue or a chronic one.

Thanks and eagerly waiting for your advise.

Thank You.

Answer
Hi Intekhab,

Your doctor is right. The test means that your baby is not able to break down (digest) milk sugar. Milk sugar is called lactose and hence this condition is called lactose intolerance...ITs just that your doctor was avoiding technical term (lactose intolerance) while explaining you in lay-man's language!!

It is USUALLY transient secondary to loose motions, but rarely one can be "permanently" lactose intolerant.

My earnest advise would be to remain in touch with your pediatrician...don't waste your time in excessively searching the net for medical issues...It is very likely to confuse you and increase your anxiety...nothing else. It is always better and easier to follow your doctor's advice!!

Best wishes,
Dr. Puneet Kumar,
Kumar Child Clinic, Dwarka,
New Delhi, India

+91-9818356846, +91-11-45535647

www.KumarChildClinic.com  

Pediatrics

Dr. Puneet Kumar