Pediatrics/Worried mom of 3 year old with chronic ear infections!!!!

Left ear
Left ear  
I'm at my wits end with ear infections, my three year old little girl can not catch a break! 3 sets of tubes and adenoids out here we are with one tube in the right ear and the left one was taken out about 2-3 months ago. Well she had an ear infection about 1.5 weeks ago, came to the beach and we are on our way home she now has a hot red left ear( which is where the last infection was) and a red streak down her jawline, she's tugging and I can most certainly tell it's hurting her. Just from my judgment (I'm a senior in nursing school I definitely do not know it all) but I can see fluid without my otoscope, red/orange. Please if you can be of any help, I'm in panic mom mode!!!!
Thank you for your time!

Hi, T,

This is not a typical middle ear infection.  It may be an otitis external, swimmers ear, or a complication of an otitis media.  She needs to see someone to distinguish between these two very different entities.

Happy Mother's Day, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.