Pediatrics/My 14 month

My son, who is 14 months, had been having a hard time passing a bowel movement. It has been going on for about a week now, when he does pass one they are very large and very hard and I have almost always had to help him get it out. And I can tell it hurts him to pass one.. What could cause this? Nothing in his diet has change and I've started a fiber diet for him but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Hi, Cassidy,

Toddlers can get constipated pretty easily.  Usually it is a temporary thing and can be corrected by dietary changes such as more fruits, veggies and fluids.  It is often hard to know why it happens but it does.

Try some OTC Miralax powder, about 1/2 cap, the top is a measuring cap, in 2-4 oz of water for a few days.  This should get things going and if the dietary changes don't keep things soft, then reasonable to use about a tsp daily for a couple weeks.  Absolutely safe and very effective.  Just be sure to use whatever approach consistently and daily for a month or so.  

Good luck, Dr. Olson

David Olson, MD

I would be happy to attempt to answer any questions about general pediatric topics, either medical issues or behavioral issues. This would include all the various questions one receives in a busy pediatric practice. I`m a board certified pediatrician in northern Michigan and have been in practice for over 15 years. I enjoy the teaching role I have in our practice and would enjoy the opportunity to help others with their pediatric problems.