Pediatrics/Reducing substance test positive

Question
Hello Doc
My daughter is about to turn 7 months. Since I started  solids for her since last month, she has been suffering from frequent poops, soon after every meal and milk. Before that, she was trained for poop and used to do once in the morning. Even she has got one tooth. Doctor said it's normal and should be fine soon. I even changed the milk from nan2 to zerolac but it didn't help.
Now I got her stool test done, it's coming reducing substance positive with a value of 5. Was giving her flagyl 2ml twice and gripe water as well since last 3 days.
What should I do now?

Answer
Dear Ms. Jain,

Thank you for the question. I am thinking that the results do seem to suggest lactose intolerance. However, you said she is on Zerolac. Was the stool test done while she was on Zerolac? Was she not on any other dairy food and not on breastmilk either? This clarity is important, since, if she is not on any lactose, why should she show a positive reducing substances test.

Kindly revert on this.

Please stop giving her Flagyl and gripe water. The first medicine is being given without a clear indication, and the dose is far from adequate. The second one is not even a legal medicine ... and has no effect on diarrhoea. Please stop them both.

Taher

P.S. Would you consider REPEATING the stool red. substances test AFTER GIVING HER DAIRY FOODS and then AGAIN after stopping them all.

T

Pediatrics

Dr. Taher Kagalwala